Gunslingers, sheriffs and circus acrobats: A resourceful dataminer has collected screenshots and details on some of the characters that didn’t make it into Red Dead Redemption 2.
There’s a lot of content in Red Dead Redemption 2. More than enough to keep players glued to the screen for days, weeks or even months. But of course, even with games of this magnitude, there is content that doesn’t make it into the finished end product. And at the latest since the release of the PC version, dataminers have been trying to tease out the last secrets from the game files of RDR2.
For example, Reddit user No_Interaction4027, who shared his discovery with the community in the Red Dead Redemption 2 forum. He published screenshots of 13 characters that (at least until now) did not make it into the final game. The 14th character model again shows an already known figure: gangster boss Angelo Bronte.
And of course the character models listed by No_Interaction4027 are not completely “new”. For example, it has been known for some time that Seth Briars (known from the first Red Dead Redemption) is (or was) supposed to appear in Red Dead Online. Or that there is a character model of Grace Lancing, who appears indirectly in Red Dead Online.
A very interesting finding here.
Seth was added to Red Dead Online. However, remains cut/or reserved for future content. This appears to the character from the first Red Dead Redemption.
He also has 47 dialogue speeches, I'll upload them soon. pic.twitter.com/hFvX9DJoi2
— Ben (@videotech_) August 17, 2020
Characters that didn’t make it into the finished game
We provide you with an overview of the 13 characters and what details are known about them.
- Frank Heck: A famous gunslinger who is only mentioned in books or cigarette pictures in the finished game. We were originally supposed to make acquaintance with Heck in the mission series “The Noblest of Men, and a Woman “
- Dr. Higgins: An explorer we should have met during Arthur Morgan’s stay on Guarma Island as part of a Stranger mission. Not to be confused with Bert Higgins, who appears in Red Dead Online
- Seth Briars: The creepy gravedigger from Red Dead Redemption and Undead Nightmare that John Marston makes the acquaintance of. Seth should probably make an appearance in Red Dead Online at some point – or might do so in the future.
- Angelo Bronte: Gangster boss Angelo Bronte naturally plays an important role in Red Dead Redemption 2. However, the character model showing the gangster boss during a shave was never used
- Grace Lancing: Yes, Grace Lancing is mentioned in Red Dead Online but does not appear in person. She is involved in the main storyline of Red Dead Redemption 2’s multiplayer mode – and may make an appearance in the future
- Sheriff Owens: A lawman who was not used in Red Dead Redemption 2 or Red Dead Online.
- Adam Gray: An unused member of the Gray family who is at loggerheads with the Braithwaites in the town of Rhodes.
- Featherstone Chambers: Dutch goes by this name during The Gilded Cage mission. However, a character model with the same name also exists in the Red Dead Redemption 2 game files
- Dale Maroney: A character who is probably most notable for his “unique drunken animations”.
- Nial Whelan: An unfinished character, probably using Mr. Linton’s model as a base.
- Archiebald Jameson: A wealthy businessman who owns the Jameson Mining Co. and works with Leviticus Cornwall. In Red Dead Redemption 2, players can find a letter from Jameson to Cornwall. Also, according to a newspaper article, Jameson is present at the garden party during The Gilded Cage, though he cannot be found there in person.
- Circus acrobat: A character model without a name.
- Doc Wormwood: A character who should have originally been the target of a Red Dead Redemption 2 bounty hunt.
- Mrs. Fellowes: The wife of Hector Fellowes, with whom Arthur becomes acquainted during The Gilded Cage and whom he later blackmails on behalf of Mayor Lemieux in Idealism and Pragmatism for Beginners II. The missus, however, never appears in the finished game.
Screenshots of the characters: To view the models for the game characters, simply click on the following Reddit embed:
Not the only “missing” characters from RDR2: By the way, the characters listed by No_Interaction4027 are not the only game characters that did not make it into the finished game. According to the Red Dead Redemption 2 wiki, there are still models for two of Chez Porter’s sons, for example, or unspecified character models discovered by dataminers.
What else did the Reddit user find out? Last but not least, No_Interaction4027 reveals in the comments under his post that an interesting discovery was made with the character model of Nigel. You remember: the poor devil who wanders around the game world for years looking for his friend Gavin.
According to No_Interaction4027, the character model of Nigel himself is referred to as Gavin, which seems to confirm an old fan theory:
What deleted character would you have liked to see in Red Dead Redemption 2? What additional content would you have liked to see in the single player or Red Dead Online? Let us know in the comments!