Fans of The Last of Us will probably be clicking their mushroom-infected teeth in excitement right now: Part 2 is getting a remaster! The game, which was originally released for the PS4, is now also being fully developed for the Playstation 5 – it is unclear if and when a PC release has been confirmed. But Naughty Dog has already revealed what’s in store for us on its own blog: A whole lot
This is included in the remaster version
You can see from the length of this section just how much will be included in the remaster. You can also take a closer look at the most important changes in the following trailer
- New game mode: No Return is the name of the roguelike survival mode. You have to sneak or shoot your way through the hordes of enemies in order to receive rewards in the form of skins and characters at the end;
You can not only play as Ellie or Abby, but also slip into other familiar roles that support different play styles. It is also possible to compete for first place on a daily global leaderboard. A little gameplay can already be seen in the trailer, more information will follow before the release.
- New old story levels: The remaster version includes levels that were ultimately cut out for the final game. Some of them are not fully developed, but you can get a deeper insight into the development of the game with audio commentaries from the developers.
- Commentary version: In the cutscenes of the story, you can also switch on the audio commentaries of the creators. Not only Naughty Dog boss Neil Druckmann and Narrative Lead Haley Gross tell you something about the scenes, but also the actors Troy Baker (Joel), Ashley Johnson (Ellie) and Laura Bailey (Abby).
- Guitar Free-Play Mode: In the remastered version, it is possible to play the guitar completely freely in several locations with different characters. There are also supposed to be different instruments – it is not clear whether we are talking about skins for the guitar or completely different instruments.
- New skins: You can unlock new clothes for Ellie and Abby – it is not yet clear exactly how many and which ones these are. But you can at least see a bit of it in the trailer;
- DualSense: The functions of the PS5 controller are used, the adaptive triggers should provide more immersion in combat and exploration.
- Speedrun mode: As in the remaster of Part 1, this hectic mode will now also be available in the second part.
- Photo mode extended: Those who like to take a few pictures now have more setting options.
- Graphics improvements: Of course, a remaster also includes visual improvements, as this is the first version to be developed exclusively for Playstation 5. The following graphic tweaks have been made:
- Native 4k in Fidelity Mode, 1440p upscaled to 4K in Performance Mode
- Non-fixed frame rate option for TVs with VRR support
- Texture resolution improved
- Wide view improved
- Shadow quality improved
- Animation sampling rate
Release and price
If you already own The Last of Us 2 for the Playstation 4, you don t have to pay the full price for the remaster: The upgrade costs 10 dollars. It is not yet known how much the game will cost for newcomers
The release date for The Last of Us 2 Remastered is also already set: It’s scheduled for January 19, 2024. You can pre-order from December 5 – but not just the standard version of the remaster, but also the W.L.F. Edition.
What’s inside the W.L.F. Edition
If you can’t get enough of The Last of Us, you might be interested in the W.L.F. Edition. In addition to the game, it includes the following:
- A steelbook
- A patch with the wolf of the Washington Liberation Front (W.L.F.) on it
- Four pins
- 47 Society of Campions trading cards, including eight hologram cards
The W.L.F. Edition can only be purchased directly from Playstation in selected countries – Germany is included
Are you looking forward to the remaster of The Last of Us 2? Which new features are you most excited about? Or do you think it doesn’t need a remaster yet and the action adventure still runs and looks good enough? Which game would you have preferred to see remastered? Let us know in the comments!