The shooter Warhammer 40K Darktide is currently hailing criticism on Steam. The developers of Fatshark draw consequences from this.
Warhammer 40K: Darktide will not get any new content for the time being. However, there is a good reason for this: the co-op shooter is currently facing a lot of criticism on Steam, with the most recent player reviews being mostly negative. Developer Fatshark is drawing conclusions from this and vows to do better. We have summarised exactly what this means for you in the following article. In our test at the launch in December 2022, Darktide was convincing from a gameplay point of view, but we still gave it a downgrade. You can find out exactly why in the detailed (GlobalESportNews -Review)
Darktide on a new course
What is the current status on Steam? No, Warhammer 40K: Darktide is fundamentally not a bad game. Most fans and players of the co-op shooter agree on this. Nevertheless, in the last few weeks and days there has been an increase in criticism in the user reviews on Steam – especially from loyal players who have already invested several hundred hours in Darktide.
What exactly is the problem? While aspects such as the actual gameplay, the facets of the different classes, the graphics and atmosphere of the dark co-op shooter earn praise, other points of Darktide are increasingly criticised. The following stand out in particular:
- The performance and technical condition continue to cause problems – a circumstance we already criticised in our GlobalESportNews test at the end of 2022.
- Originally promised but still missing features like modifying weapons or a strong story focus are missed.
- The gameplay variety leaves much to be desired in the long run, which is mainly attributed to a lack of endgame.
- The crafting feels unfinished, incomplete and half-baked.
- The in-game shop is criticised for its strong real-money focus, especially in light of Darktide”s other problems – Fatshark had already promised improvement here in the past.
Gameplay video of Darktide: How the Warhammer shooter plays can be seen in the following gameplay clip:
This is how things are going with Darktide now: The developers of Fatshark have promised improvement in view of the criticism and want to take partly drastic consequences for it. In an official statement on (Twitter) the following measures are announced, which will take priority in the coming weeks and months:
- They want to take player feedback into account and work on the crafting system, the motivation through the progression system and the stability and performance of Darktide as soon as possible.
- To ensure this, new content and also the release of Darktide for Xbox Series X/S will be delayed. The planned release of new premium cosmetics will be completely suspended.
It is currently unknown when exactly the planned measures will take effect and what they will ultimately look like. As soon as there is new information on this, we will of course let you know. You can read the full statement from developer Fatshark as follows:
– Warhammer 40K: Darktide (@Darktide40K) January 24, 2023
What do you think of the current state of Warhammer 40K: Darktide? What do you like about the shooter, where would you like to see improvement? Let us know in the comments!