Last time there was a lot of headwind for the gameplay reveal of Justice League – now 20 minutes of new gameplay should change people”s minds
With the Arkham series, Rocksteady brought some of the best superhero games of all time to the masses. The last installment is now eight years old. In all that time, the studio has been working on an indirect sequel that lets you explore an open game world as the chaotic supervillains of the Suicide Squad instead of a masked avenger.
However, the gameplay reveal of Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League earlier this year didn”t exactly cause a storm of cheers. The video was met with such heavy headwindsthat Rocksteady completely cut off all communication and disappeared into silence for eight months, only to announce a postponement to February 2, 2024 in the meantime.
Now, however, the studio has suddenly pulled out new gameplay and shows for 20 minutes what you can expect in February The only thing that hasn”t improved is the reactions to it
How Suicide Squad plays
The trailer shows lots of gameplay impressions and reveals some new details about the story surrounding Justice League. If you want a quick overview instead of watching the video, you can find the most important information summarized here:
- Super Equipment: Since at least Harley Quinn, Captain Boomerang and Deadshot have no superpowers whatsoever, they need a little boost. That”s why all three of them steal special equipment from a Justice League museum to help them make faster progress. Only King Shark relies on his natural jumping ability.
- Fighting: Each anti-hero has his own unique way of fighting, using a mixture of jumping maneuvers, melee and ranged combat. It”s colorful, it”s fast. There are also counter-attack mechanics, like in the Arkham games of old.
- Game world: The open world consists of the large city of Metropolis, which has been occupied by the super-intelligent alien Brainiac. The population has been almost completely transformed into alien monsters, and the Justice League has also been corrupted by Brainiac.
- Roleplay: There is also talk of RPG elements in the gameplay through new equipment, but this area is not particularly explored in depth.
The tone remains negative
Even though there are some positive voices about the new gameplay, people out there are still skeptical. In the (comments under the gameplay on YouTube) there are mostly negative voices predicting that the service game will not have a particularly long lifespan
Many users on Twitter also react with dislike to Suicide Squad. The claim that Suicide Squad is designed as a co-op adventure with a long-term online service is often criticized, although fans would have preferred a classic single-player game, as was the case with the Arkham games.
Welcome to Suicide Squad Insider! In this first episode, we”ll be deep diving into the world of Metropolis, the story, and the Squad”s traversal.
– Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League (@suicidesquadRS) November 15, 2023
The mood is a little more positive (in the subreddit for Suicide Squad). Some people there are happy about the improved combat compared to the first gameplay and the cinematic cutscenes also seem to whet the appetite for more
What do you think? Are you now more or less interested in the new game from Rocksteady? What do you like about the new gameplay and what can”t you stand? Let us know in the comments below: